Sunday, September 26, 2010

Vinyl Revival


In the end, the temptation proved too much. Seduced by the surprisingly large number of outlets selling new and 2nd hand vinyl records in Singapore, I finally succumbed and purchased a nice new shiny turntable, the first one I have had for over 20 years. Yes, there are many easier ways of listening to music these days, however, it is a great nostalgia trip to see a record spinning on the deck and enjoy the warmth of the sound, notwithstanding the odd snap, crackle and pop on the older versions.

What has been most interesting is the unearthing of some long forgotten records which I had brought with me to Asia from Europe in 1987. The turntable has therefore become the 70's and 80's time machine - the forum for artists like the Average White Band, Luther Vandross and the Isley Brothers. There is a lot of soul music and I had forgotten that the younger version of me was very into the Sound of Philadelphia.

Of course, there are also a few embarrassing ones, but I'm not telling......

No comments:

Post a Comment